Thursday, May 22, 2014

Episode 160: Fiber Festivaled Out


Wendy is all alone this week. WIPs include the B(ias)3 crocheted scarf. Whirlwind Romances aplenty this week, including 700yds of Enchanted Knoll Farm in the Dragon's Blood colorway and 180yds of Frabjous Fiber in the Tourmaline colorway. Wendy also reviews the Northern Lights wool put up as pencil roving from Louet in the Popsicle colorway. Baubles and bling include more of the neon Regia sock yarn, beads for use in another Star Leaves shawl and four more Stitched by Jessalu notions pouches! I chat a bit at the end about the Webs Tent sale and the few remaining fiber events between now and Rhinebeck.

SHOW NOTES

KAL/CAL:  We are hosting a Stash Busting KAL/CAL for the month of May.  Post a pic of your finished project made from yarn purchased at least 6 months ago in the May Stash Busters Thread and get that stash under control!  A winner will be drawn at the end of the month.

We are also hosting a Sock KAL/CAL.  You choose the pattern.  If you use yarn purchased at least 6 months ago, you can enter your sock in both contests!  A winner will be drawn at the end of June (we decided to make it a two month KAL).

We will be giving away a copy of the Yvonne's Wings pattern by Kimberly Gintar.  Post in the contest thread in our group.  A winner will be drawn next week.

If you are interested in trying out one of the three fibers Wendy reviewed from Louet, post in the fiber threads in the group.  I will draw names next week.

On The Dance Card:

Wendy is working on:

Brush Creek Cowlette by Carina Spencer in Fiber Optic gradient handspun (not shown this week)

B(ias)3 by Amy E Chapleau in Shibui Sock in the Breeze colorway.

Rate Your Date:

No FOs this week.

Whirlwind Romance:

Wendy spun approx. 700yds of Enchanted Knoll Farms in the Dragon's Blood colorway.

Wendy also spun approx 180yds of Frabjous Fibers in the Tourmaline colorway.

Wendy reviewed the following Louet fiber:

Northern Lights Wool Top in the Popsicle colorway:  I thoroughly enjoyed spinning this prep.  It is put up as a pencil roving and drafted like a dream.  It was so easy to spin a thin single that I had to be careful not to make my samples too thin so you could see the different color effects I tried!


I spun the first sample as a chain-ply so that the colors stayed together.  This choice would probably result in a stripey yarn when knit up.  The second sample I spun as a two ply so that the colors would barberpole against each other.  I liked the yarn both ways, and I liked that I could play around with the colors.

The resulting yarn was very soft and definitely next-to-skin friendly.  There are lots of different colors to choose from and this fiber would be great for pretty much any project.

Since I was sent 1/2lb, I am going to offer the remainder of my review samples to an interested spinner/spinners if you'd like to try them yourself.  Or you can pick them up for a good price at the links above directly from Louet.

Future Dates:

Wendy plans to knit another Star Leaves shawl in lace yarn sent to her by the lovely SiberianCat.

Baubles & Bling:

Wendy purchased at Webs Tent Sale:

Madelinetosh DK in the Esoteric colorway.  I picked up a couple of extra skeins for my planned sweater in case what I bought in February isn't enough.  I got worried.

Regia Fluormania in a different colorway than the one I used for the Mystik Spiral socks.  I want to see if I can knit another pair of sock in less than a week!

Stitched by Jessalu notions pouches (because I can apparently never have enough).

I also went to:

Northampton Beadery where I purchased beads for the Star Leaves shawl.  Since they didn't have enough beads of one type, I bought three similar colors and blended them all together.

Gossip & Innuendo:

Wendy went to the Webs Tent Sale at Webs Yarn Store, Northampton, MA, 5/17-5/18/14.  It was a fun event with lots of local artisans in booths, the tent of discount yarn and the usual Webs store and warehouse.

MA Sheep and Wool at Cummington Fairgrounds, Cummington, MA 5/24-5/25/14.  Neither Sheila nor Wendy will attend this year.

Fiber Frolic at Windsor Fairgrounds, Windsor, ME 6/7-6/8/14. Wendy is on the fence about attending.

Fiber Revival at Spencer Pierce Little Farm in Newbury, MA 8/9/14.  Wendy may attend this event.

VT Sheep and Wool at Tunbridge Fairgrounds, Tunbridge, VT 10/4-10/5/14.  We do not plan on attending.

Stitches East in Hartford, CT 10/9-10/12/14.  Wendy plans on attending the Saturday marketplace.

Rhinebeck at Dutchess County Fairgrounds, Rhinebeck, NY 10/18-10/19/14.  We plan on attending for the weekend.

New England Fiber Festival at Eastern States Exposition, West Springfield, MA, 11/1-11/2/14.  Wendy plans on attending.








No comments: